Kerala Fish Curry ( Kottayam Style ) is a spicy curry made using Kudampuli/malabar tamarind. It goes well with rice and tapioca (kappa/cheeni). This type of fish curry is a signature item among the traditional dishes of Kerala. It will serve as great combination curry with rice, chapati, or parotta (പോറോട്ട). Here is our special recipe for the same:
- Fish (any type of fish ) – 5 pieces (medium)
- Kudampuli ( കുടംപുളി ) / Gambooge – 2 medium pieces
- Garlic (sliced) – 6 clove
- Ginger(sliced) – 1 inch piece
- Green chillies – 3 nos slited lengthwise
- Kashmiri chilli powder – 1-1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – 2 stalks
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds ( ഉലുവ ) – 1/2 tsp
- Shallots ( small onions) – 5 nos (sliced)
- Coconut oil – 4 tsp
- Water – 2 medium cup
Method of Preparation:
- Clean the fish and cut them into medium pieces and keep aside.
- Soak Kudampuli in a cup of water and set aside.
- Take earthern pot (meenchatti), heat coconut oil and then add mustard seeds.
- After they splutter add fenugreek seeds, curry leaves, small onions, sliced ginger and garlic and saute for about 3 minutes.
- Add kashmiri chilli powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder to it and fry it for about 2 minutes.
- Add the soaked kudampuli along with water and mix it well. Add the fish pieces and salt to this.
- Cover and cook the same for around 15 minutes on low flame and bring it to a boil. (You should be careful not to stir the fish pieces with a spatula (ചട്ടുകം ) as this might cause the fish pieces to break. For this, the best way would be to rotate the pan so that the fish pieces cook in the masala without breaking.)
- After 15 minutes cook the remaining uncovered for some more time till the fish gets cooked properly.
- Tasty Kottayam style Kudampuli Fish Curry is ready. Serve hot with rice/tapioca kuzhachathu.
Notes : Having fish dishes is good for bones, keeps the body healthy & strong. It contains lots of vitamins, minerals, calcium and several other health benefits.